Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:37:57 +0000
From:      lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a system with multiple jails

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 08:19:35PM +1100, BSD Freak wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I have a system running multiple jails.....Anyone know of a good (ie=20
> fast, non-risky) proceedure to upgrade the host system and all the=20
> jails it runs....
>=20
> Thanks.....
>=20
>=20

Hi,

  First off - make a backup.  There are some good articles over at
ONLamp.com about that (tar, pax, dump, restore, etc.).  After that all I
do is make buildworld in singleuser.  Then I switch to single-user
installworld and compile my kernel - this then gets installed and I just
run make installworld DESTDIR=3D/kernel.  This has caused no problems so
far.
  You could try disabling the jails at startup (if you have them running
by default) and just upgrade the host as per usual.  Then you could tar
the jails as a backup and make installworld after that - then just start
them back up again.

  Neither of these has caused any problems for me.

-lewiz.

--=20
=2E.. My pants just went on a wild rampage through a Long Island Bowling
Alley!!
--|| url: http://lewiz.info/ | http://www.westwood.karoo.net/pgpkey ||--

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--