Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's the best working gigabit ether card...

> Louis A. Mamakos wrote...
> > >
> > > Another thing to keep in mind, if you're going to be connecting more than
> > > two machines, is that the Alteon switches are the only ones that I've seen
> > > that currently claim to do jumbo frames.  They cost a bundle, but they're
> > > more or less the only game in town.  My guess is that will change
> > > eventually.
> >
> > Packet Engines is also doing jumbo sized Gigabit ethernet in their
> > switches.  This was something that was a requirement at work (UUNET)
> > since the backbone already carries 4470 bytes frames, and we didn't
> > want to have to fragment going over gigabit ethernet plumbing.
>
> That's very good to know, thanks.  I wonder why they don't mention it on
> their web page?
>
> Another odd thing is that they claim there is a 3rd party FreeBSD driver
> for their Gigabit ethernet PCI card, although I don't know of one.
> (There's certainly not one in the tree.)

I've been (possibly mis-) informed that Packet Engine's GigEther card has
been dropped. In fact, that's why I've been contacted to look into
alternates.

Essential Networks has a GigE variant of their RoadRunner card (HIPPI)-
porting Kevin Lahey's driver from NetBSD to FreeBSD for that card has been
on my list for a while...