Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:27:49 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        sdbug@sdbug.org, doc@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for www.freebsd.org and questions

On 2005-09-09 16:17, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> wrote:

> [2] I noticed that the links below are general instructions, but
> maybe having two very similar documents throws off some people
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html

Probably.  Information overload is as bad as complete lack of any
information at all in many cases.  But these two are pretty essential
links to have.

> [2] Lastly, some background - I came to the site seeking general
> install recommendations, such as about suggested mountpoints and
> slices (partition) ideology and sizes.  Has this been asked before?
> I have a 200GB HDD and no definite plan about setting up slices and
> dirs!!

The tuning(7) manpage has a lot of nice tips.

A relatively old post in my weblog has a description of how I
partitioned the 200 GB disk of my workstation at home, which might also
be nice to read:
http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-new-disk

> [3] Disk space required?  I realize the website gives minimum
> recommendations such as 160mb and 24mb RAM for example.  Is it a
> good idea to set up an OS-only slice / bare minimum / then have a
> separate slice for my binaries and XFree86?

This is essentially the same question as [2].

> [4] FOUR is here as a great tip if you have not seen this page:
> http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/index.pl great idea!!  but
> it would be neat if each 'datasheet' or 'lab report' if you will,
> linked to the product listed at an official company URL e.g.
> http://store.ibm.com/products.php?ThinkpadXYZ1000

This is (unfortunately) quite impossible, given the tendency of these
pages to be autogenerated, to include random "session ID" numbers, and
be full of irrelevant crap, like advertizing material.

Not a bad idea, though.  The maintainers of that site will probably know
if this is easy to integrate with their current database :-)