Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:58:40 -0500
From:      "Ross Potts" <rpotts@med.osd.mil>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modems

Okay, I'm not a newbie.  But, for the life of me, I have never had to use a
modem.  I've led a privileged life of working in a set environment with all the
NICs I could carry.

Now I want to use a modem on FreeBSD at home.  Before I started leaning over to
this OS, I tried Linux.  Then I heard that they would not take winmodems.  On my
Compaq Presario, that is apparently what I have(no jumpers!).  That and the
stupidly easy setup in FreeBSD made me change over.

I have since then bought a motorola modemsurfr-33.6(with jumpers).  Wouldn't you
know it... two days after I bought it, I found (in the FreeBSD Handbook?) how to
change IRQ settings in userconfig.  Maybe I could still use the winmodem and
save the settings like described for NICs?  I will keep both modems.

My problem is this:  I have yet to be able to get a dial tone!  AARRRGghhhhh!
I'm using a book for Linux, but the concept is the same in how to set the dev
files!  I know once I get a dial tone, setting ppp will be simple.

Can anyone send some info other than reading the FAQs and handbook?

--
UNIX Rules!!!

Ross Potts                  Internet : Ross.Potts@med.osd.mil
EDS-D/SIDDOMS               Phone    : (703) 824-7601
Skyline Two, Suite 1200     Beeper   :
5203 Leesburg Pike,
Falls Church, VA 22041