Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:47:17 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Marko Lerota <mlerota@iskon.hr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

On Mar 19, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Marko Lerota wrote:
> This thing should be solved. I liked the way that my OS have
> independance
> from ports. So no metter what I do with ports, my OS and his apps
> will work.
> And If I upgrade the OS I dont want to recompile ports for that.

The traditional mechanism for ensuring that a binary would continue to
work after an OS upgrade is to statically link in any libraries used,
which would prevent the problem of upgrading some shared library that
normally would be dynamically loaded and thus inherit a mixture of
dependencies.

The main disadvantage of static linking is that you can't update a
library to fix bugs or whatever without having to relink the program
the way you could update a shared library; secondarily, dynamic
linking can reduce the overall system memory requirements for running
lots of processes which use common shared libraries.

--
-Chuck