Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:16:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brianc@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IDE and ASUS P/I-P6NP5

> > DMA mode isn't supported AFAIK.
> >
> > I think the problem is still that it is impossible to reliably detect
> > support for the mode without crashing older (WD1007, etc.?) hardware.
>
> And Terry clearly has a problem with IDE in general.

Not clear from this post; the only thing this post makes clear is that
I have a problem with crashing older hardware to benefit newer hardware
when it's reasonable to expect new hardware to take the old hardware
into account when designing a standards compliant probe sequence.

So, per se, I have a problem with some IDE hardware manufacturers, and
a problem with the ATAPI specification allowing leeway to them to
implement badly behaved hardware.  So while I'm adverse to sloppy
implementations, it doesn't mean that I believe it's impossible to
have a non-sloppy implementation.  On the other hand, I have yet to
see one, so my expectations for one are pretty low.

> Nonetheless I'd really love to have a bus-mastering IDE driver
> available.  I could care less if it automatically detects older
> hardware, although other operating systems manage to do this.

Windows 95 does this by allowing the user to reset "if the hardware
probe hangs for an 'unreasonable' amount of time".  It logs using
sync writes going into each probe, and so it is possible to recover
from destructive probes for nonexistant hardware (the failure case
I'm complaining about here) by restarting, skipping the erroroneous
probe.

I have had to occasionally rebot five times on some sensitive hardware
configurations during a Windows 95 install.

I have suggested that BSD needs a fallback driver mechanism and
a similar probe/install mechanism... without one, what you are
asking is not going to happen because the underlying technology
just isn't there.

For what it's worth, NT has the VM86() capability to support fallback,
yet does not support it.  Clearly, Microsoft is attempting to force
hardware manufacturers to build cleaner hardware by not filling in the
cracks with Windows 95-like putty.

> I'd be happy to manually specify that my IDE chipset and drive were
> "DMA capable" for the dual benefit of freeing up the CPU for more
> useful tasks and increased throughput.

A perfectly reasonable way to implement it: an option, not enable by
default.  Feel free to implement the driver changes, since I certainly
don't own any IDE hardware to enable me to help you out.

> Now if we can just find someone capable of doing the work  ;-)

Sounded like you were volunteering...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---