Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:19:21 +0200
From:      Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
To:        Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
Cc:        infrastructure-private@apache.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zroot won't mount after 9.0-RC2 -> 9.0-RELEASE upgrade

Okay.  I tried booting from the 9.0-RELEASE cd into a shell and
replacing /boot/zfs/zpool.cache on with the one generated by the CD's
kernel.  (I did that by running 'zpool import -R -o cachefile=/tmp/...'
and then copying zpool.cache over that of the live system, in a manner
similar to <http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE>.)
That didn't seem to have any effect: the 9.0-RC2 kernel can still boot,
and the 9.0-RELEASE kernel still fails to boot, with the same error.

FTR, here are the old/new zpool.cache files:
    % ls -al /boot/zfs/zp*
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2308 Feb 15 16:43 /boot/zfs/zpool.cache
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2052 Feb 15 16:41 /boot/zfs/zpool.cache.20120215rc2

Re George's suggestion -- I noticed a "Can't re-use a leaf
(geom_gpart_gpt)!" error, in case it's relevant.

I have also tried running:
for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5; do
  gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 mfid$i
done
from the RC2 environment.  RC2 still boots; the 9.0-RELEASE /boot/testkernel
still doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestsions.