Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:15:54 +1000
From:      Hugh Blandford <hugh@island.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to make root filesystem. Help please

Hi All,

I've had a harrowing day.  I have been trying to install FBSD 2.1.6.1 on a
machine without luck.

I having been getting signal 11s and I'm dead messages all day.  Having
replaced the main memory all the network cards and the IDE controller,
floppy drive and the CPU I have finally got to the stage where the machine
is dying at a consistent point.

I am trying to install via FTP from one of my other FBSD boxes.  On the
main screen I end up with the following messages:

Unable to make root filesystem on /dev/rwd0a
Command returned status 139
Couldn't make filesystems properly. Aborting

On the debug screen I get the following:

Network initialized successfully
Scanning disk wd0 for root filesystem
Scanning disk wd0 for swap partitions
pid 24 (newfs), uid 0: exited on signal 11
uid 0 on /: file system full
Memory fault
Switching......

This is a 1.2Gb Seagate Medalist drive with a 15Mb DOS partition on the
front of it.  The couple of utilities that I have in the DOS partition work
fine.  Could this be a motherboard problem?  Is this a disk problem?  I
know DOS doesn't do much but would formating the whole disk for DOS and
trying to write to it that way be any good?

I'm very stuck and would appreciate any suggestions.

Hugh.

PS this box is supposed to be budget item, so suggesting that I throw it
away and buy x isn't really the answer that I'm after.  Replacing faulty
hardware is fine ;-)