Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:04:26 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:47:56PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> writes:
>
> > 	I've used such cylinders in Oxyacetylene cutting torches, and
> > 	brazing, but I don't recall them ever being able to generate
> > 	enough heat to do proper welding.
>
> I think enough heat is not the problem, but things like controllability
> and impurities (eg, Oxygen, air) in the weld are the main reason for
> using other technologies for common welding tasks.
>
> Also, I'll bet a tank of compressed air is a lot cheaper than one of
> either Oxygen or Nitrogen.

I've never seen a commerial cylinder of air. I don't know if you can
buy one. I would think that for the vast majority of applications it
is cheaper to buy an air compressor than to buy cylinders of air.

> Anyone know if highly compressed air is
> a dangerous fire hazard along the lines of Oxygen (but less so, of
> course)?

Air is about 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen. When you compress it, it is
about 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, the concentrations don't
change. Making some approximations, the reactivity of the gas is
driven by the partial pressure of oxygen. The partial pressure of
oxygen in air is about 1/5 of that in pure oxygen. Compressed air is
about "five times" less reactive than pure oxygen, whatever that
means.

> Also, does anyone know if different gases work better than others
> (ignoring dangerousness) because of their different compressibilites?
> (I'm not even sure what that means, but I know I can get more power
> out of squeezed rubber than squeezed steel.)

That probably is not going to drive the choice. If you want to go buy
a cylinder of gas for this use, nitrogen is ideal. It's cheap,
non-flammable, non-toxic, and other properties are good for
this. Oxygen is more expensive and explosive. Carbon dioxide is toxic
and has a big temperature drop when throttled, you can get
ice. Helium, argon or another noble gas is great but way more
expensive.