Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 22:17:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Dunaway <bob@rdsw.com>
To:        gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Archive DAT SCSI problem

> >I have recently brought up a system with FreeBSD on a 486DX2/66 and
> >am very happy with the system except for a SCSI tape problem.
> >I have been having problems adding an Archive Python 25501-xxx DAT tape
> >drive to the 950322-SNAP release of FreeBSD. I am using the Adaptec 2842A
> >controller. The system locks up when booting with the tape drive connected.
> >
> >ahc1: reading board settings
> >ahc1: 284x Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, aic7770 >= Rev E, 16 SCBs
> >ahc1: Downloading Sequencer Program...Done
> >ahc1 at 0x1000-0x10ff irq 11 on eisa slot 1
> >ahc1: Probing channel A
> >ahc1 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> >ahc1: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0x19
> >(ahc1:0:0): "HP C2490A-300 4140" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> >sd0(ahc1:0:0): Direct-Access 2033MB (4165272 512 byte sectors)
> >ahc1: target 6 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0x42
> >
> >The system hangs at this point with the disk controller access light on.
> >I rebuilt the kernel with the NEW_SCSICONF option and also added a
> >table entry for the Archive drive using the parameters of the Wangdat
> >DAT drive. I then tried the SCSI_2_DEF option. Neither of these options
> >made any difference. I then tried the SCSIDEBUG option to determine
> >where the boot was failing. The boot was successful and I was able to
> >write a tar tape and read it successfully (with a lot of debug messages).
> >Apparently, the problem is related to timing to the Archive tape drive.
> >The last thing which I have tried was the new aic sequencer code and
> >driver. The system still locks up at the same place during boot (no debug).
> >Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this problem.
>
> The dmesg output came from the -current aic7xxx driver?  Just to make sure,
> can you try the 4/12 SNAP snapshot disks out (incase you didn't grab all
> of the required files).  If this is the -current code, it looks like a
> syncronous negotiation problem.  We should never allow negotiation above
> 15.
>

> >Thanks
> >bob@rdsw.com
>
> --
> Justin T. Gibbs
> TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1
>   Cory | Po | Danube | Volga | Parker | Torus

The dmesg output came from the 950322-SNAP as released. I had seen the same
results with the new aic7000 driver and sequencer. Mark Hittenger suggested
that I might need a tape loaded in the drive during boot. Although I had
tried that several days ago, I tried it again with the new driver and it
booted just fine. I was able to make a full backup. I had not tried the
complete 950412-SNAP because I was concerned that the new sliver disk
partitioning was part of that release, but I read tonight that it is not,
so I may try it now.
Thanks
Bob Dunaway
bob@rdsw.com