Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 20:55:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

> To counter Joerg's 'not bothered by non-persistent DEVFS', I'd have to
> say that my experience with Solaris has been less than enthusiastic.
> Note, it only dealt with one device (the tape drive), but it was a pain
> in the butt.
>
> I setup the machine so that 'normal users' could do their own backups to
> the tape drive, but the default permissions would not allow this to
> work, so I had to 'chmod' the device special node.  The combination of
> the Solaris init implementation (where do I stick the chmod call in the
> mess of init files?), the fact that the tape drive was 'mobile' (it
> moved to a PC for backups on occasion), and the fact that I couldn't
> make the mods persistent w/out a lot of work.
>
> Yes, it could be done, but it was a huge pain in the backside to get it
> to work 100%, and it shouldn't be that much work IMO.

This sounds more like you were bitten by the lack of easily-adapted
support infrastructure than that the basic concept is flawed,
especially as the case you offer as support is one that would be a
non-issue with our infrastructure.

> > If my mouse were plugged into a USB port,
> > and I unplugged it then plugged it back in, the device would go away
> > and come back.  If I chmod'd it on boot, those setting would be lost.
>
> I hope this isn't lost in the noise.  Any 'boot' configuration is a loss
> for the (hopefully soon to be coming) 'dynamic' scheme that keeps
> getting talked about.  Devices will come and go, and any scheme that
> doesn't take this into account will be a net loss.

I was just discussing this with Eivind; I think that we can comfortably
cover every set of requirements with:

 - a kernel-wide default owner/group/permissions for new nodes, which
   can be overridden by the device driver in response to eg.
   configuration arguments or device-specific concerns.
 - a mount option which determines whether new nodes show up in the
   devfs instance.

> You get the point.  If we plan on making the system secure out of the
> box, then we need a way for people to make it usable w/out too much
> grief.

This is a key point, yes.