Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:22:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: a little bit of support on XFree86 pls...

Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it writes:

 > Hello,
 > In the last days I build XFree86 3.3.6_9 (unsuccesfully) , 4.0.3 and 4.1.0
 > the last one works fine. the problem with the last two is that xdm
 > terminates immediately after it is launched. It gives no error, no
 > warning, it just terminates... anyone has some clue about it ??

Xdm from Free86-4.1.0_3 works fine here.

Make sure you've deleted your xdm config files between 3.x and 4.x &
installed fresh ones for 4.x.  I vaguely remember that some config
files changed between 3.x and 4.x & that might cause your problem.

Also, I don't know how you got 4.1.0 to build.  I just comitted a fix
to the FreeBSD port last night.  You are building from the ports
collection, aren't you?

Drew