Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 02:43:45 -0400
From:      Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Problems

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org> [000925 10:13] wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I've been using NFS on stable (3.x, 4.x) for a while now, and when it
> > works, it seems to be fast and reliable.  However, I've noticed that in
> > any case where it doesn't work (nfs server goes down, cable gets
> > disconnected, weird network card driver issues, etc), the client
> > machines seem to get stuck in an nfs-read state limbo of some sort.  My
> > poor laptop was in this state for about 3 days and the daily run's (find
> > in particular) was hung (new hung "find" every day).  If I could kill
> > these processes off, I probably wouldn't mind, but these processes
> > simply do not die (even kill -9), without a reboot. The worst part is,
> > while they are hung, I cannot unmount the NFS share (says it's being
> > used). The shutdown isn't clean either because it cannot kill them at
> > shutdown time. Is this normal behavior, and if so, how do I stop it from
> > happening?
> >
> > If this is something I've misconfigured I can provide hardware and
> > config file details on request.
> >
> > Thanks for any help :)
>
> You probably want to mount your NFS with the 'intr' and 'soft'
> options.
>
> see the mount_nfs manpage.

Thanks Alfred, this did clear up the problem with the machine hanging,
and now I believe I'm getting some interesting log messages that may
clear up why I've been experiencing this more often than normal:

Sep 26 02:28:17 laptop /kernel: nfs_getpages: error 4
Sep 26 02:28:17 laptop /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1047
(cp)
Sep 26 02:28:52 laptop /kernel: nfs_getpages: error 4
Sep 26 02:28:52 laptop /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1053
(cp)
Sep 26 02:35:34 laptop /kernel: nfs_getpages: error 4
Sep 26 02:35:34 laptop /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1100
(cp)
Sep 26 02:36:28 laptop /kernel: nfs_getpages: error 4
Sep 26 02:36:28 laptop /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1112
(cp)
Sep 26 02:37:04 laptop /kernel: nfs_getpages: error 4
Sep 26 02:37:04 laptop /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1118
(cp)

My syslog on my laptop keeps repeating this every time I try to do any
major I/O on the NFS mount (but thankfully, now I can break out of the
cp command when it hangs).  The server end doesn't seem to be
complaining, just the client end.

Thanks again for any help :)

--

Pat Wendorf