Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:43:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: 3c589d w/ freebsd 3.3 works badly.

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I don't know if this is the same issue, but I've seen terrible write
> performance on my 3C589C under -CURRENT, and so has phk.  Read
> performance is OK.  Looking at the hub, I see a short burst of
> activity and then nothing for the rest of a second.  This repeats
> itself in this manner.  No errors, but a write throughput of less than
> 50 kB/s.  I've seen this before recent changes in -CURRENT, but it
> seems worse now (or maybe I've just paid more attention to it now :-).

This is a known problem under -CURRENT.  If you uncomment the
printf() call in ep_if_watchdog() you will see that the TX queue is being
flushed from the watchdog timeout.  This happens on all cards and busses
I've tested (ISA, ISA PnP, EISA, MCA).  Others have reported it on PCMCIA.

I've also received reports of the same watchdog timeouts under STABLE.

I'm somewhat puzzled and have not been able to locate the problem.  I
don't see any recent commits that could have caused the error.  I continue
to work on solving this though.

If anyone has any ideas by all means let me know.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |