Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 2014 23:39:54 -0500
From:      "T. Michael Sommers" <tmsommers2@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Where do user files go these days?

On 11/8/2014 9:50 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:37:31 -0500, T. Michael Sommers wrote:
>> I've noticed that neither the instructions for partitioning a disk in
>> the handbook, nor hier(7), mention a /home partition.  Is such a
>> partition still used?  If not, where do user files go?
>
> It _can_ be used. Traditionally, /home is a symlink
> to /usr/home, so if you create partitions according
> to OS functionality, the users' data will be stored
> on the /usr partition. But you are completely free
> to create a dedicated /home partition - on the same
> disk or even on a different disk; if you put every-
> thing into one big partition, this will also work.
> The installer will automatically create the symlink
> as /home@ -> /usr/home for you.

Thanks.  In every system I can remember, /home was a separate file
system (when it existed at all), and I didn't see /usr/home in hier(7),
so I wondered.  (In the Good Old Days (V7), all the user directories
were put directly in /usr (so you'd have /usr/fred, and /usr/john, and
so on).  I'm surprised they're back under /usr, even if a level deeper.)
  It was also possible that some entirely new scheme had been created.

--
T.M. Sommers -- tmsommers2@gmail.com -- ab2sb