Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 11:40:27 -0700
From:      Kumar Viswanath <kumarv@soe.ucsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   MIPV6. Question about Route Table and next hop entry

Hello Folks,

I am working on extensions to Mobile IPv6 and faced with a strange situation.  The current MIPv6 implementation
works fine but we would like to extend it to work with IPv4 endpoints.

This is the setup.
The CN (correspondent node) is a v4 only capable node. The AR's (Access Routers) and the MN (mobile node) are dual stack capable.
All the MIPv6 signaling between the AR's is tunneled through a 6to4 tunnel.  When the MN moves from AR1 to AR2 it sends a Binding
Update (BU) message with its New Careoff v6 address. According to the original implementation after AR1 receives the BU it creates a V6
tunnel to the NCOAv6 address of the MN and routes packets to the MN.

However in the extension, since the CN is a v4 only node and the dstaddr is the v4 address of the MN, the BU also contains the careoff v4
address of the MN. Now the question is whether it is possible to create a route table entry at AR1 for the NCOAv4 address which points to
the NCOAv6 as the next hop. The idea being that we can use the existing code to tunnel CN's packets to the NCOv6 address of the mobile
node.

Any help or suggestions/advice would be very useful. (Other than not use MIPv6 at all :-)).

Thanks
Kumar

P.s if replying can you pls cc me at my email id.

--
http://inrg.cse.ucsc.edu/~kumarv