Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:35:49 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: suggested xorg-compatible video HW for FreeBSD/amd64 ?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading many mails , and some documents , I have decided to buy the
> following
> hardware
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFX
> http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Graphics-Cards/ATI/ATI-Radeon-HD-4000-=
Series/ATI-Radeon-HD-4670.aspx

> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/=
desktop-board-dp67de.html

> to perform the following tasks :
>
> - To attach two monitors to the video card .
> - To modify / improve FreeBSD / Xorg sources to divert ( serial console ,
> stdout , stderr ) outputs to one of the monitors =C2=A0, and the rest int=
o the
> other monitor .
>

> Reasons to select the hardware :
>

> - I think Intel boards are more reliable , more suitable for Unix from th=
> other brands within
> very limited budget ,
>
> - ATI Radeon has more information sources than Nvidia with respect to ope=
> source software . There is no any documentation about Nvidia chipsets ( o=
> I could NOT find ) .

So, I would always recommend nvidia, using the closed source binary
drivers from nvidia. I've used these drivers with all sorts of nvidia
cards, and everything - 2D acceleration, OpenGL, multiple monitors,
video decode acceleration - has always worked perfectly.

nvidia actually develop the driver, and there are frequent releases.
New cards are supported as soon as they are released. Here is a list
of supported devices from the latest driver release:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/FreeBSD-x86_64/290.10/README/supporte=
dchips.html

Cheers

Tom