Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 23:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw patch

Some time ago I came across the attached patch for ipfw which supports
per-session timeouts.  It applied cleanly until my last attempt to cvsup
4.4 (still at 4.3).  It allows you to specify 'lifetimes' in your ipfw
rules as follows:

allow tcp from any to ${oip} 22 in keep-state lifetime 3600

This would let ssh have a timeout of 3600, while maintaining sysctl
timeout values for all other connections.

I contacted the author, agifford@infowest.com, but have received no
response...  and was curious if anyone else has used this, or knows if
similar functionality exists within ipfw now.  I checked the man page and
didn't see anything similar...

Later,
-Mike

--
"Information may want to be free, but fiber optic cable wants to be
 a million US dollars per mile."  --Shawn McMahon