Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 95 00:39 PDT
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        jwb@ulysses.att.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP, again

In article <199509281322.GAA13838@freefall.freebsd.org> you write:

>I am having problem with sup.  At first, I was getting
>SUP: Can't find host entry for sup.FreeBSD.org
>and requested the address to try to connet via the address rather than
>the name.  After getting the address (thanks to all who responded), and
>changing host=sup.FreeBSD.org to host=192.216.222.4, tried sup again,
>and this time I got
>SUP: Can't connect to server for supfilesrv: Host is unreachable

>I got this because our network is behind a firewall, and we need to go
>through the firewall via a proxy server to reach the real world.

>My question is, has anyone gotten sup to run from behind a firewall, and
>if so what needs to be done????

>If not what, if anything, is available to run from behind a firewall to
>update the sources???

What I do here is to have the -current machine nfs mounted on the firewall
(presuming that the firewall doesn't have nfsd running on it you
can't go the other way) and then run sup on the firewall with the sup
dir pointing to the nfs disk.  Another way is to run sup on the firewall
to a local disk then either tar or cpio the result to your machine.

I can't think of any easier methods...  the sup client may be
socks-capable but I don't know for sure..

-- Pete