Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:30:15 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   What 100mbps ethernet card(s) to use w/SMP?

I am having a difficult time coming up with an ethernet card that
will work on my smp system.  The closest I've gotten so far is with
an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B, which only works with UP kernels.
With an SMP kernel I get persistent timeouts.  The SMC 9332BDT
gives similar results on an SMP kernel, but fails differently on
a UP kernel.  (Following probe at boot, all lights -- including
the link integrity indicator -- go off and stay off.  The card is
completely dead.)

The two 3Com cards I tried (3C905 and 3C595) both seemed to be
working but pings to local (same 100mbps LAN) systems took almost
1 second and an rcp of a smallish file never completed (I killed
it after 10 minutes).  For both of these cards a boot-time message
printed warning to turn off auto select with the cards DOS utility.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get the utility that came with the
card to run (the system in question does not have DOS installed on
it and the utilities didn't seem to want to run from diskette :-()

I can't believe that there are folks out there that are successfully
running SMPs on 100mbps LANs.  I just can't seem to make any headway
on resolving this.

System specifics:

Hardware:
    ASUS P/I-P65UP5 w/C-P6ND.
    2 150MHz PPro CPUs
    64MB RAM
    ASUS PCI-SC875 (Symbios 53C875 SCSI controller)
    ASUS SC-200 (Symbios 53C810 SCSI controller)
    Matrox Melenium graphics adapter

Software:
    FreeBSD-970527-SNAP at first.  I then upgraded to FreeBSD-current
    (as early morning of 06/10).

I certainly would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox	       Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made
bob@luke.pmr.com       President should on no account be allowed to do the job.