Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:41:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Chuck Youse <cyouse@paradox.nexuslabs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Limitations in FreeBSD

On 29-Oct-99 Chuck Youse wrote:

>> > That´s why I´m looking for a way of having large mmap´able
>> > files. Are you saying that ALL Intel CPUs, including PIII, can
>> > only
>> > address 4 GB?
>>
>> That's correct; it's why the ia32 architecture has a '32' in its
>> name.
>
> I don't believe that's true.  I don't have any hard evidence within
> easy
> reach, but with the introduction of the Pentium, the address space
> was
> increased.  A user process, of course, can only have 4G of
> addressible
> space (32-bit addresses) but the OS can map pages of the 4G space
> into a
> larger area.

It was the PPro, not the Pentium, and it is called Page Address
Extensions.. it does some funky stuff with the page tables to gain an
extra 4 bits for a total of 64 gig of addressable space.  It ends up
using 4k and 2mb pages.

> Something to do with 4MB pages instead of 4K pages.

This is a seperate issue known as Page Size Extensions and actually was
present in some i486dx4/100's.  Basically, it allows you to directly
map 4mb with a single page entry by leaving out the bottommost layer of
the page tables.

> Again, I could be wrong on this one.
>
> Chuck Youse

---