Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:01:38 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, hm@ernie.altona.hamburg.com
Subject:   Re: A problem with disklabel & "use entire disk" on 2.0.5R.

>> > I *had* to use the translated geometry to get anything to boot.
>>
>> This comes up over and over again.  In Usenet.  In private mails/talks
>> i'm getting.  I'm not very happy that the slice code broke *many*
>> systems that used to run before with their dedicated disks.  IMHO, we

>One of them was me. The system in question has never seen another OS than
>*BSD and it will never. (It will never see any commercial PC SYSV U*nx,
>any Microsoft OS, nor any IBM OS). I always used the whole disk for *BSD
>since 386BSD and it went fine until 2.0.5 ... :-(

Why didn't you use the existing (whole-disk) slice?  The one created by
copying the boot blocks over the MBR isn't acceptable to foreign OS's
or disk managers, but you don't wan't those, and it is acceptable to
FreeBSD.

>So to repeat the original question: is there any drawback in using this
>totally strange cylinder/head/sector layout i was forced to use ????

No.  It is only used for loading the first sector of the FreeBSD boot
blocks.  It gets put in the disk label but newfs no longer uses the
geometry in the label by default and drivers no longer use the geometry
in the label at all.

Bruce