Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:47:45 -0500
From:      Mark Shirley <mark@entropynet.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell problem

the first thing you need to do is install bash.  this can be done by making the port of it. /usr/ports/shells/bash2 or bash1  do a make all install clean and you will have bash installed.  after this is done i suggest using the vipw command.  this command will allow you to edit the /etc/master.passwd and will make sure the syntax for the file is correct (this avoids nasty situations with passwd file) . find the user you want to use bash with and change their shellt . here is an example

(this user has the normal sh )
cyberfrg:encrypted password removed:1000:0:wheel:0:0:cyberfrg:/home/cyberfrg:/bin/sh

you would change "/bin/sh" to "/usr/local/bin/bash" like this

cyberfrg:encrypted password removed:1000:0:wheel:0:0:cyberfrg:/home/cyberfrg:/usr/local/bin/bash

now for this to take effect you need to rebuild the database but vipw does it for you automatically when you exit.
so now just hit escape then type :wq

you should get this output

vipw: rebuilding the database...
vipw: done

and your done
simple huh?
just do that with all the users that you want to use bash.

*note* bash might be installed in a different place, if this is true just type 'whereis bash' and it should tell you where its located