Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:35:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      chris@tci.com
To:        mmercer@ipass.net
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, me@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

On 18 Mar, Michael E. Mercer wrote:
> All,
>
> I come from a perspective of both sides. I know a little about
> FreeBSD because I subscribe to mailing-lists and try to keep
> up with FreeBSD current.
>
> BUT I agree with the consumers side in this. From what you stated
> below, 'From the README.TXT' implies the consumer already bought
> the DISKS or whatever. Also with the consumers point of view,
> the consumer would like to know what they have in their hands
> before they get it. My arguments  here are weak, I know, and I don't
> really want to get into a battle here. This is my $.02 worth.

I have to agree.  I've recently been fairly successfully in getting the
NT admins where I work to to at least dip their toes in this stuff
(Linux/FreeBSD).  Knowing absolutely nothing about it, they're left to
reading the packaging to try and figure out what it is they have in
their hands.  Jordan's comments may very well be true, but how is an
end consumer who has never before in their life seen it supposed to see
the README.TXT without first buying the package?  In the Winders world
(and, I would venture to say, in most others) the more recent version
of Product X is always preferred over the older alternative.

chris