Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:37:21 GMT
From:      reader@newsguy.com (Harry Putnam)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Aiming instlall rouitine at source directory on dos

Trying the `From Dos' partitition method of install. I'm dropping the
ball at the point where you are expected to select which partition
holds the dos directory with the install files.

Being familiar with Linux mainly, I don't recoganize the naming
conventions:

 I have 2 HDD .  One, all win95 with 3 partions C D E,
Number two is all most all linux with /dev/hdb/ 1-8  /dev/hdb3/ now
set to `a5' file system and labeled BSD/386.  (done confusedly with
the install fdisk editor)

After using the handy `setup.exe' to make a boot floppy.  Then having
repeated problems with preping the source files.  (corrrupted, wrong
size etc) I may now have clean files (only installing the `bin'(basic)
directory)  But when the install gets to the point where you select a
dos address...

Theres the rub. I'm being shown three possibilities.  Two columns, one
colored yellow the other black, same entry in both columns.
wd0s1    wd0s1
wd0s2    wd0s2
wd1s1    wd1s1
 I 've tried all three at one time or another.  None have worked.  How
can one translate between Dos C, D, E and the system used by FreeBSD
or does it even see Dos partitions at all?

Do the above represent C D E or is wd1 a different disk?

I'd like to flesh out this install by finishing up with an FTP update
later on.  But, attempting an ftp install to begin with.  I wasn't
able to get a connection started.  Once the information (IP address
Domain name etc) was supplied.  I was shown a screen that told me
adamantly not to press `enter'until I'd made a connection, and
directed me to Alt-F3 to do so.  Going to Alt F3 I found no way to
continue. ... IE give a phone number username, password etc.  The only
command suggested to use is `term' which got me a `ready' prompt.  But
seemingly no way to do anything.  Return to the previous screen or
pressing F1 have not shown a way to connect.

What are the steps to making a connection?  Where do you put a phone
number etc?  What is the application that does the connection?  I
recognized nothing similar to minicom, telnet, or other ppp type
connecting devices.
Seems a different world altogether.
--
Harry Putnam