Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 02:22:54 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF binaries

According to Alex:
> If I replace the binutils with GNU binutils 2.8.1, will I still be able to
> run my a.out programs, or will everything need to be recompiled?

The main problem is that if you are to replace as/ld and the whole binutils
package is that you won't be able to build a.out binaries, especially
shared libs. Our shared libs scheme is not supported anymore by GNU
(someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Out of perversion, I've built the 971215 snapshot of egcs with the ELF
tools so egcs now builds ELF binaries. I'm waiting for the switch to ELF
eagerly.

Does anyone has some example of how the pentium code generator in egcs is
good ? My first experiments are not very significant...
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #19: Tue Dec  9 20:17:10 CET 1997