Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 05:04:34 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        dinoex@freebsd.org, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: png-1.5.11 status?

> Unless the shareable version number is bumped, there is no need to
> re-build dependent ports. Most updates to shareables do not change the
> API or ABI, so dependent packages simply pull in the updated shareable
> when they load. You should only have to do the mass update once,
> whether for 1.5.10 or 1.5.11.

> I would suggest using the '-w' option if you use portmaster as the old
> shareable was libpng and the new is libpng15. If you keep a copy of
> the old one around, many things that have not been re-linked will
> still run OK.

> Note that when you start re-building stuff, you will certainly hit
> cases when you link to a library linked to one libpng and either the
> port being installed or another dependency is linked to libpng15. I'm
> unsure exactly what impact that might have. It really should have
> none, but I am not really sure.

> When you are finished re-building (or think that you are), I strongly
> recommend running "pkg_libchk -o | grep png" to make sure that nothing
> has been missed. pkg_libchk is part of the sysutils/bsdadminscripts
> port.

> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer

Thanks for information.

Since the portmaster.rc.sample recommends it and I don't want to worry about forgetting "-w",
my /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc reads

MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
SAVE_SHARED=wopt
PM_LOG=/var/log/portm.log

I hope I have all the correct syntax.

I never (yet) installed sysutils/bsdadminscripts but have been persuaded by reading list messages that it is too useful to let go by.

Tom