Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:50:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        khetan@chain.iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, mark@grondar.za, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems

> > The advantage is they enable transactioning.  You'd need to read the
> > new Steven's book for a full explanation, but basically, it cuts
> > packet overhead in about half.
>
> This machine is not on a network; so, as I understand it, don't need
> it with PPP ?

Transactioning is an optimization for things like WWW, finger, and
FTP data connections.

It could help PPP for these things, but PPP compression can't
interoperate without seperating out the compression flag from the
timer.

Right now it only hurts PPP performance (assuming you are using
compression).

> > There was a discussion of this on the -hackers list a while back, asking
> > about relative compression statistics when compared to Linux.  The Linux
> > numbers were several orders of magnitude better (ie: compression was
> > used more frequently) than BSD because of the compression defeat cause
> > by the header "changes" by T/TCP.
>
> So i.o.w disabling this will make the BSD speed comparable to Linux ?

It will make BSD do the same things Linux does with regard to
the decision on a packet-by-packet basis whether or not to do the
compression.

In theory, the BSD system should outperform the Linux because of
other factors in the networking code.

But I'm not about to write you a guarantee on that.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.