Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 07:50:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        pete@sms.fi (Petri Helenius)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: "Windows 98"

> IMO, broadcasting the junk over airwaves is too error prone and
> kludgy, just use the WWW from the television station like:
> http://www.yle.fi/tekstitv/

remember, teletext was there 15 years ago -- in the homes -- and it
doesn't cost you a phone call to get the data.

On top of this: you live in a small (population-wise) and probably
well networked country. The italian tv site www.rai.it offers
teletext pages using a crappy program running under a windows server
and probably behind a very slow line.  Usually, 90% of the requests
for teletext pages time out, the remaining 10% reply "this server
is too busy try later".

This is why, when I put teletext pages on my web server back in
1995, the info leaked out and our site become very popular, getting
up to 10K requests/hour for teletext pages. And i am still getting
complaints from people  because i removed the pages after RAI, two
years after declining our request/offer to distribute the pages on the
net, put up its marvelous www black hole.

> How many TV sets have point-and-click interface!?

some do. a lot of cheap 1992-class TVs can identify links on the
teletext pages and browse through them using the arrow keys on the
remote control. better than a mouse.

	cheers
	luigi