Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:39:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Larry S. Lile" <lile@stdio.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is Really Broken(tm)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >> Why doesn't the kernel always use an MFS as root? I've seen a ton of traffic
> >> go by on these lists about the magic needed to mount root partitions, and it
> >> would seem to me (in my small mind), that using an MFS, like the boot
> >> floppies and PicoBSD, which would always be a `known' quantity, would make a
> >> lot of these problems go away.
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> >I believe the main reason it doesn't do that is that too many people
> >believe it too radical.  I know a number of developers (hi phk!) would
> >like to have the actual device probes controlled from a very small
> >userland running out of a ramdisk - personally, I think this might be
> >a good architecture, but as I haven't seen an implmentation yet, I'm
> >not quite sure.
>
> You've never seen an AIX ?

rootvg:
LV NAME             TYPE       LPs   PPs   PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT
hd6                 paging     64    64    1    open/syncd    N/A
hd5                 boot       1     1     1    closed/syncd  N/A
hd8                 jfslog     1     1     1    open/syncd    N/A
hd4                 jfs        2     2     1    open/syncd    /
hd2                 jfs        117   117   1    open/syncd    /usr
hd9var              jfs        1     1     1    open/syncd    /var
hd3                 jfs        3     3     1    open/syncd    /tmp
hd1                 jfs        1     1     1    open/syncd    /home

mkboot Command

Purpose

Creates the boot image, the boot record, and the service record. This
command is NOT a user-level command and is NOT supported in AIX Version
4.2 or later.

Syntax

mkboot -d Device [ -b ] [ -D ] [ -c ] [ -h ] [ -i ] [ -I
] [ -l LVDev ] { -k Kernel | -e Expander } [-L] [ -s ] [ -r
] [ -p Offset ] [ -w ] -f FileSystem

Description

The mkboot command combines a kernel and file system into a boot image.
The resulting image is written to standard out. It is copied to a boot
device with the appropriate boot record information. The boot image can be
made compressed or uncompressed and with or without a boot record at the
boot record at the beginning of the image. An image created for a
[...IBMese ad naueseum...]

Which is the command that you use to generate bootable media compelete
with kernel and a small ram filesystem to contain the stuff which is
neccessary to boot.  But most people just use bosboot which is smarter
and knows how to get the pre-assembled platform specific kernels and
bootstrap filesystems from /usr/lib/boot, or worse when you are running
SP2's site_specific.../usr/lpp/...platform...os-level...blahblah

It works but if you ever have to build or repair one by hand you will
regret it, except in trivial cases of disk, AIX F.0.0 and one platform.
In fact I should get back to my Post Traumatic AIX Therapy now.

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com