Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:43:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Stacy Olivas <olivas@digiflux.org>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org, bsd-advocacy@daemonnews.org
Subject:   Re: Draft: Proposed FreeBSD PubRel project Charter

Suggestion: learn to wrap lines before 80 characters; I've
reformatted your original posting, to make it readable, below;
I've tried to keep it under 72 columns to ensure that it *stays*
readable, after posting to a mailing list, and quoting by way
of reposting.

The first lesson anyone should take from this is that people
will ignore information, without regard to whether it's good or
bad, if it's visually inaccessible to the,  Presentation and
neatness counts (FWIW).

Note 1: I have *not* corrected spelling or grammar, only fixed
        the formatting.

Note 2: I minimally object to 3(c) and 3(f).  The project should
        operate without a requirement of "core team sanction"
        (implied by 3(f)), and should operate on a consensus
        basis, rather than a "might-makes-right" basis (implied
        by 3(c): there's a readon Jordan was a one man show for
        so long).

-- Terry

Stacy Olivas wrote:
> Ok,
> Here is what I promised earlier.. Please look it over and rip it apart.. :)
> Once this gets hammered out, we can ask someone (maybe Micahel Lucas) to
> present this and
> get this officially approved to be part of the project.
>
> -Stacy

(Proposed) FreeBSD Public Relations Project Team Charter (Draft):

The following document is a draft of the FreeBSD Public Relations
project charter.

1. Purpose.  The purpose of the FreeBSD Public Relations project
   (called PubRel) is to inform the world about the existance of
   the FreeBSD Operationg system.  It will be the primary point of
   contact on all publicity matters for the FreeBSD OS.

2. Responsibilities.  The FreeBSD PubRel team will be responsible
   for:

    a. Coordination of all press releases for the FreeBSD project
       (on-line, print, etc).
    b. Maintain an up-to-date press kit on FreeBSD, which will
       allow any technical or non-technical person understand the
       advantages FreeBSD has over other OS's.
    c. Act as the primary point of contact on all FreeBSD
       advocating activities, to in include (but not limited to):
       organizing of booths or other public presentations,
       sponsoring presentations given by various
       individuals/organizations, etc.
    d. Recruting new people as advocates for the FreeBSD OS.
    e. Monitoring all media outlets (to their best of their
       abilities) and collecting any information found on FreeBSD
       for use in press releases, etc.
    f. Promoting a positive image of FreeBSD to the world.
    g. Act as the primary points of contact with all media
       outlets for the FreeBSD project.
    h. Work with the other parts of the FreeBSD project (core
       team, release engineering team, etc) and with the FreeBSD
       foundation in developing promotional materials for
       distribution.

3. Organization.

    a.  The PubRel team will consist of not less than four (4)
        core team members.
    b.  Each of these core team members will share an equal vote
        on all matters related to the project.
    c. One member will be designated as the "head" of the PubRel
       project, and as such be able to push the project in a
       given direction to help keep from forming a deadlock.
    d. Each core team member will have specific responsibilities
       assignem to them.  These responsibilities are as follows:

       (1) Team Head

           (a) Overall project management and primary point of
               contact\
           (b) Responsible for press releases to on-line media
               outlets (including Slashdot)

       (2) Team member #1

           (a) Rrcruting new advocates and providing assistance
               to advocates
           (b) Responsible for press releases to Magazines
               (print, exclusing trade publications)

       (3) Team member #2

           (a)
           (b) Responsible for press releases to Newspapers

       (4) Team member #3

           (a)
           (b) Responsible for press releases to Trade
               Publications

    e.  New core team members can be added only upon a unanimous
        vote from all current team members.
    f.  Team members can only be removed upon a unanimous vote
        from all current team members and a minimum of 3 votes
        from the current FreeBSD project core team.

4. Reporting requirements.  The PubRel team will be directly
   responsible to the FreeBSD core team and, as such will be
   required to provide the core team with quarterly updates on
   their activities.  Including (but not limited to:

    a.  Number of press releases that were released (and to what
        type of media outlet)
    b.  Number of press releases that were used (who and when)
    c.  Progress on any current projects.
    d.  Submit copies of all press releases via send-pr with a
        copy posted to the -advocacy list