Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 16:34:55 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        steve@megahack.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random make crashes

* Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net> [010523 15:51]:
> * Steven Farmer <steve@megahack.com> [010523 15:22]:
> >
> >     Rasputin> Is this ropey RAM , or something else?  (World built may
> >     Rasputin> 1st)
> >
> > I have this problem with make when "-march=pentiumpro" is added to
> > CFLAGS.  You might try adding NO_CPU_CFLAGS=true to /etc/make.conf and
> > rebuild make.  This fixed the problem for me, at which point I also
> > added NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true to make.conf and rebuilt everything.
>
> Nice thought, I tried it just after posting,
> didn't change a thing.

Don't want to tempt fate, but I think it's sorted.

Although I'd unset CPUTYPE, the make binary was built with those settings.
(k6)

scp'ing /usr/bin/make from a friend's server seems to have
fixed it (touch wood)

In which case I owe you a pint Steven.
What's your teleporter number, I'll fax it over?

If that's the case, then it looks like CPUTYPE did break make,
at least for some of us.  Anyone know who manages CPUTYPE settings?

--
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
		-- Laurence J. Peter