Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:40:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        krugerc@telusplanet.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation question

> I am having trouble installing FreeBSD onto my 14 GB hard drive. How
> can I successfully install FreeBSD within the 1024 cylinders
> limitation? Is there a special DOS download to accommodate large hard
> drives for the installation? Thanks, Cliff.

Only the root partition or slice needs to be within the first 1024
cylinders. I would reccomend going with the default disk partitioning
scheme (unless you are dual booting with some other os too) of using the
entire disk for FreeBSD, then making slices in some way close to the
default (by hitting the 'A' key while editing slices, some fairly sane
defaults can be obtained)... here is an example that I use on a fairly
large hard drive as displayed by df:

Filesystem               1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a                 128943    20917    97711    18%    /
/dev/ad0s1f               11858305  1830637  9079004    17%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1e                  69407     3823    60032     6%    /var
procfs                           4        4        0   100%    /proc

I deleted /stand/sysinstall, so I can't show you exactly where everything
ends and begins, but my machine boots fine, so the root slice is definitly
not beyond the 1024th cyl....

Ken