Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:46:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn)
Cc:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), bright@wintelcom.net, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

> I've only been following freebsd for two or three years, but every
> single time freebsd starts ramping up for a release I see some newbie
> freebsd users come on "lily" (our equivalent of IRC) and say
>     "Hey, I meant to get N.x-stable, but I got N.x+1-beta!!
>      What did I do wrong?  How do I back out?"
>
> It only takes a few minutes to calm them down and say "that's
> just the way freebsd does things, don't worry about it", but it
> does happen (with different people, of course) for every release
> that I've seen.
>
> How about calling it:
>     4.3-pre-release
>
> When we then create a new branch after the release (the "super
> stable, critical bug-fixes only" branch), we can call that
>     4.3-post-release

	-stable
	-release
	-stable-rc	(stable, release candidate)

The people with the problems may wonder about the "-rc" suffix,
but with "stable" there as a prefix, they will probably ignore
it, after wondering for a second whether it's the initials of
the last person to commit changes or something...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.