Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:08:22 +0100
From:      Jeroen Massar <jeroen@mitgroep.card.azr.nl>
To:        Steve Smaha <smaha@gte.net>, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus P2B-DS with AIC-7890 on-board

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Steve Smaha wrote:

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> I just got a P2B-LS, and was about to start building the system.
> I want to run Red Hat 5.1 on it, and was very disappointed
> (or glad??!) that it's going to be a bit of a homebrew.
>
> >>I wanted to know if there was any support for this chipset
> >>under Linux or FreeBSD kernels...
> >>If there is... where? :)
> The usual place to look is:
> ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/7890-Status
>
> For more 7890-related info ou might also look at:
> http://www.cs.utsa.edu/research/AI/bylander/linux/dell-precision.html
>
> If you get Red Hat running on your P2B-DS, would you post or send
> me info on how you did it?
Well...I won't be running RedHat at all... not how it's packaged in
it's current form though... I did get the rev7 aic7xxx to work
on slackware and debian... so it should also work with RedHat...
Simply unpack a kernel... patch it with the driver and then compile
it, install it (prolly keeping a "clean/working" kernel in a safe place)
and off you go :)

Greets,
 Jeroen Massar