Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:24:42 -0400
From:      "R.Mason" <rmcelt@worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot Problems on Installation

When installing 'FreeBSD 4.0 according to chapter 5 of the Complete
FreeBSD , on rebooting my screen reads as follows:

F1   FreeBSD

Default: F1

No /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

>>FreeBSD/i386 Boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:_

I've repeatedly checked that the disk geometry and translation mode is
correct in the bios and that the correct geometry is reflected in the
Fdisk utility and that the BSD slice is set bootable. Yet at reboot the
same screen always appears. I'm attempting to install on a P60 with 24mb
RAM and a 420mb IDE h/d. I beleive the the BSD kernel version is 3.1.
Any assistance that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

R.Mason