Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 23:56:57 +0100
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
To:        "Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

"Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net> wrote:

>give it time.  someday, someone will see that forcing unix onto the desktop
>is pointless for 99% of the people out there, and come up with something else.
>beos has the right idea tho.  take the unix kernel, strip all the user
>interfaces out of it, and write your own from scratch.  now you have a system

BeOS isn't Unix based.  We will see however, what comes out of
MacOS/X (aka "Darwin"), which is BSD based and features the Macintosh
user interface (read: Finder) on top of the base system (it's a
complete Unix with real userland, though).  I haven't seen it yet
but read some of the discussion on NetBSD mailing lists and I'm
quite curious how well they managed to hide Unix below an easy-to-use
layer that appeals to unknowledgable users.  We'll see when Apple
starts shipping with MacOS X instead of the horrible abomination
that is today's MacOS.

mkb