Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2022 16:02:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
Subject:   boot environment and /var/db/etcupdate ?

------=_Part_285_54489529.1661263368683

Hi,

I'm running the super duper boot environment using ZFS. [1]

I have /var and /usr/local as separate datasets. These do not change when I upgrade the OS and that keeps the backups a lot smaller as the backup sees a new BE as a new dataset and fully zfs sends all the data again.

But when I rollback /var/db/etcupdate is not in sync with / anymore.
And /var/db/ports and /var/db/pkg should be kept in sync with /usr/local. But I do not need to rollback these if I need to go back to the previous BE.

Do people have a nice solution for this?

Should I mv and symlink /var/db/etcupdate to somewhere in the BE?

Regards,
Ronald.

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/BootEnvironments

------=_Part_285_54489529.1661263368683

I'm running the super duper boot environment using ZFS. [1]<br />
I have /var and /usr/local as separate datasets. These do not change when I upgrade the OS and that keeps the backups a lot smaller as the backup sees a new BE as a new dataset and fully zfs sends all the data again.<br />
But when I rollback /var/db/etcupdate is not in sync with / anymore.<br />
And /var/db/ports and /var/db/pkg should be kept in sync with /usr/local. But I do not need to rollback these if I need to go back to the previous BE.<br />
Do people have a nice solution for this?<br />
Should I mv and symlink /var/db/etcupdate to somewhere in the BE?<br />
Regards,<br />
Ronald.<br />
[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/BootEnvironments<br />
&nbsp;</body></html>