Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:52:32 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Eriq <eqe@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which video cards work best for stable

> From: Eriq <eqe@cox.net>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:52:56 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> nvidia or ati, need to know what to build new system with. I am now
> running a server w/ savage4 and it runs fine but next box I was
> thinking ati as price per profomance seems good in 8500. But what do
> you think.

This is more an XFree86 issue than a FreeBSD issue
(XFree86@xfree86.org).

I have found ATi is supportive of the open-source community and
results have been quite good.

As of today and V4.2.1, all ATi cards except the 9500 and 9700 are
supported in 2D. 3D is available for the 7500 and may be there of the
8500.

Support for the newer ATi cards in in CVS and the 4.3 pre-release
distros (4.2.99). 4.3 is expected out shortly.

I have no experience with nVidia, but they do provide a binary FreeBSD
driver for 3D support of their new cards.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
.