Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 14:58:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sef@Kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI subsystm errors -- help?

Sean Eric Fagan stands accused of saying:
> In the past week, my computer (which has been amazingly stable) has not been
> able to stay up for more than a day and a half :(.

*sniff*  This is garth, or kithrup?

> It hangs, while printing console messages from the scsi subsystem -- saying
> "sdx(0:y:0): timed out" (sd0 and sd1), and "MBO not free" (or something
> similar), and "controller card frozen?!" and other annoying messages.

That might be mbox?  (mailbox?)  You get this if the card doesn't respond
to commands, or doesn't generate interrupts like it should.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be broken?  My best
> guesses are the 1542B (which is about 6 or 7 years old) is dying, and/or the
> power supply is flaking out.  But I don't know.

I have a Buslogic BT542 (similar card) which display similar symptoms.
It came out of a system in which it was not doing anything; prior to
that it worked.  My guess is static damage.  In your case, "what did
you change"?

> I'd prefer not to have to replace the computer, but unless I can figure out
> which component is dying, it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do
> :(.

If you haven't changed anything, you should be able to find someone in
your area with a 1542 that you can swap in as a test.