Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:55:36 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware1/linux broken

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Julian Elischer wrote:

> kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/lib/modules/vmmon.ko: Exec
> format error
> kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/lib/modules/vmnet.ko: Exec
> format error
> vmware.sh: cannot create /dev/vmnet1: no such device or address
> jules# dmesg
> [...]
> link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_register_handler undefined
> link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_register_handler undefined
> jules#

	Could you check if vmmon and vmnet sources contains the following
lines:

	MODULE_DEPEND(vmmon, linux, 1, 1, 1); , and
	MODULE_DEPEND(vmnet, linux, 1, 1, 1); respectively ?

	If not, add one line to the each module and recompile them. I'm
unsure if vmware1 port was updated to reflect recent changes in the
kernel. (vmware2 runs fine for me, the only grief is that license will
expire soon :)

> the symbols are present and the linux module is loaded.
> link-elf is just incapable of seeing symbols in the module,
> only in the actual kernel.

	The symbols looked up in the module name space only if dependency
tag is present. This effectively allows us to have multiple versions of
kernel interfaces to be loaded simultaneously.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/