Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:31:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
To:        FreeBSD questions list <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.1.7 installation failed, files "not really there"?

Greetings.

I just made my first attempt at installing FreeBSD 2.1.7, but it failed.
Everything went fine for a long time, drives partitioned okay, packages
selected/installed, etc., and then I got two package errors -- one for
emacs-2, the
other for jove-4.  The installation program just stopped cold.  I figured
out that the other tty listed the output of the jobs, and what happened
evidently were gzip errors, with the error message from the subject line
(above).

Is there a list of packages that are corrupt, so I know what *not* to
install?  I checked the docs on the freebsd.org site for an error list,
but found nothing.  What other undocumented problems will I face?  I don't
really have much free time now;  I need to be able to do this in one more
attempt.  Also -- why doesn't the installation program give the option of
aborting a specific pkg_add (or whatever), instead of just stopping the
whole thing?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice you could give me.  I'm new
to UNIX (I usually use OS/2), so you may need to talk down to me a little!

System is Cyrix P6-120+, 40MB RAM, 2MB 3D ProVidia card;  I'm installing
from the Walnut Creek CD distribution on a Mitsumi 12X drive.

TIA,

Jeff

    Jeff Roberts    jroberts@!ashland.edu     strider@!acm.org