Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:46:21 -0500
From:      Qasim Javed <qasimj@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>, freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, ath9k-devel <ath9k-devel@venema.h4ckr.net>, ath5k-devel@venema.h4ckr.net
Subject:   Re: [ath5k-devel] [ath9k-devel] Request for help: gui toolkit creation for atheros PHY/MAC statistics

In addition to driver statistics, I was thinking that a tool like this
should provide more insight like how many times the CPU is being
interrupted by the Wifi card when it is offered a certain load.

I was recently running into an issue with an XR9 card and
interestingly I found using the "mpstat" tool that when the offered
load goes beyond a certain threshold Mbps, the number of interrupts
per second goes down!

ath9k has a set of patches (compat wireless with "-pc" at the end of
filename before the extension) that dump the TX/RX descriptors which
contain rich information regarding the transmission and reception
process. I had to write a custom script to process the binary dumps
generated by those patches, but if the visualization tool can display
that information it would be awesome. Those binary dumps contain
almost all the information that could possibly be made available.

-Qasim