Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:44:32 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Douglas Swarin <doug@staff.texas.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, kkemp@nwcr.net
Subject:   Re: Frustration with SCSI system

In message <20000921182405.A82919@staff.texas.net> Douglas Swarin writes:
: Ideally, I would use one of the IDE flash-based drives on the market. One
: brand is SanDisk, and they take a standard IDE connector and fit into a
: 3.5" drive bay. You can get them very reasonably priced up to 128MB or
: so, which is just fine for a boot partition. Since flash drives have no
: moving parts, mechanical failure is not an issue, and since the root
: partition is not written to much, the flash will not wear out for a
: long time (flash cells wear out after about 100,000 writes; the flash
: drives do load balancing and stuff to ensure that the (many) cells in
: the drive are written to evenly).

We use these devices heavily at Timing Solutions.  Or rather we use
a IDE <-> CF adapter and haven't had any devices wear out.  And some
of these devices have had rather heavy use.  I think that it is closer
to 1 million writes per cell, but I don't have my spec sheets handy.

Are you sure that they do write balancing?  The indications I have
from the base chip technology is that they don't.  I could have missed
that in the data sheets.  It has been a little while since I looked at
them, so I might be misremembering.  I can't seem to find the data
sheets I looked at before.

In any event, this works well.  I usually have / be read only.  This
can be practacle if you don't have any users that desire to change
their passwords...  Since I have serveral machines that have an
extremely limited number of users on, this works well.  One can also
mount / rw if you need to do maintenance on it for whatever reason.

Warner