Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 00:24:40 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        Shaun Dwyer <sldwyer@bigpond.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Patrick S. Gardella" <patrick@FreeBSD.ORG>, tdwyer@bigpond.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LCD driver port (Linux -> FreeBSD) needed for car-mp3 player

On Sunday 29 April 2001 11:51, Shaun Dwyer wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> The software I am using in Linux (cajun - cajun.sourceforge.net)
> requires
> a serial display to work. What the linux driver does is emulate the
> serial
> display, and provides a /dev/lcd.
>
> As I am not a perl coder, I cannot modify Cajun to use the app you
> wrote,
> And as I am not a C coder, I cannot modify what you wrote to behave like
> the linux driver.
>

> Unless there is something already around that can take input in the way
> /dev/cuaaX
> does, and then pump the data into what you wrote, I think that the
> easiest way
> to do this is to make a driver for FreeBSD that behaves exactly the way
> that the Linux driver does.

Writing a driver is not the easiest way to go and if you don't know C then
you can't write the driver.

I think what your getting at (IIRC from your original post) is that you are
asking someone to volunteer to write it for you. This is not a small request
as writing kernel drivers is not a trivial task, can be very time consuming,
and most people don't have time.

Anyway, this looks like a pretty cool project and hopefully someone with some
extra time on their hands will take up the task. Alternatively, you could
learn C, learn how to write FreeBSD device drivers by reading the source code
of existing drivers, and then write it yourself. :) I'm sure folks on this
list (including myself) would be willing to answer any questions you had.

Good luck!
--
Regards, Devin.