Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 10:55:15 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        ip@mcc.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wdx interrupt timeouts (fwd)

> Thanks for the suggestion; I probably will, but:
> 	Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> shouldn't be happening just because I'm trying to read a possibly (but not
> very likely) bad drive, should it? Note the subject line -- this started with

i see nothing drive like in that panic, but then again, i'm no panic wiz...

to me it looks rather that you just run current (right?) and i have those
page faults with it every now and then, not really recently, but few weeks
ago i did...

reason i'd assume a bad drive rather than ide problem is the fact i am running
current with two ide drives, i use 32bit and multi blocks and async,noatime
so i would assume i take as much performance out from ide drives i can, yet not
having problems you do...

and as i said, when my last ide broke (after one year on all the time), i
had similar errors... it's bit over a year ago so i dont remember exactly,
still i would bet on bad drive.

> onto panics. I hate IDE, even brand-new supposedly self-correcting drives...

ditto. but until i have the money, i have to live with them.

> I'm also stuck at first base with the crash dump:
>
> Any suggestions, offers of help, or brain transplants gratefully receieved...

check the handbook? i got bit further with it, not that i got any more
enlighted though.

it's in the section 20.1, and too much to cut&paste... =)

> "Why does it always happen to me?"

coz we let mr murphy to born? =)

> Ian.

mickey