Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:58:06 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to get booteasy reinstalled

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 10:12:24PM -0700, Colin Eric Johnson wrote:

> boy do I feel sheepish
>
> In a weak moment I purchased the game starship titanic (which only runs
> under 95/98) and I had NT installed as the other OS on my laptop. Well,
> the 95 install over NT seems to have wiped out booteasy so now I can't
> boot to FreeBSD. I am running 3.1-STABLE and I have the 3.1-RELEASE
> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies.
>
> Can someone walk me through the steps of getting booteasy back onto the
> MBR so I can boot FreeBSD to get work done (and 95 to play games).

I saw a message go by a few weeks ago where someone showed how to use
sysinstall to replace booteasy, but I've never tried that myself.

I usually do the following:

1. From Windows, open a DOS shell, or better yet, boot into MSDOS mode.
2. Create a directory "C:\BOOT" or something like that.
3. Copy "tools\bootinst.exe" and "tools\boot.bin" from the cdrom to
   your new directory (or ftp from
   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/tools/)
4. cd into your new "BOOT" directory and run "bootinst"

Then just follow the prompts.

You might wonder why you can't run `bootinst' directly from the
cdrom. `bootinst' wants to be able to write a backup of your current
boot record wherever it is running from, which doesn't work on the
read-only cdrom.

Good luck.

Chuck