Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:34:25 +0300 (MSK)
From:      der <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp sits in LCP mode after modem hangup.

Hello !

 I have FreeBSD 2.2.8 Release at home, and all works OK, except ppp. The ppp
runs in background, with -auto and -alias switch, connects good and works
great, except one trouble: sometimes, when modem hangs up, the ppp doesn't
disconnect from serial port, the 'show link' reports the link is in the LCP
mode. The phone line isn't locked, but i want for ppp to disconnect after idle
timeout (of course, i set timeout in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf), and it's really most
of the cases works.
 It sits and sits a hours, and never redial again (every 4 hours the
UUCP-over-tcp executed, so it must redial), so i have my system completely
locked out of the net.

Somebody have such troubles with native 2.2.8 ppp (not pppd) ?

May be, i can add some timeouts for lcp connection (on the server side i have
such timeouts) ?