Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:23:29 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/init.d/

J Wunsch writes:
>As Vadim Kolontsov wrote:
>
>>   how about implementing /etc/init.d/ .. /etc/rc0.d etc Solaris-like
>> scheme in FreeBSD? I think it will be useful. And I am ready to do it.
[snip]
>difference between the BSD and the SysV approach (as it is actually
>used by the various SysV incarnations) is that BSD only knows about
>single-user vs. multi-user run-levels, while SysV often provides a
>crippled multi-user level without networking.  Now, think about when
>you've actually been using this level at all, ever, on your SysVs...
>and it will become very apparent that it _seems_ to be a nice feature,
>but is _actually_ a totally unused misfeature.

I run a SVR4 box here at home, and the only useful run-level options
(IMHO) it offers involve NFS services. When I need NFS I just
switch to that run-level and all the services are started. When I'm
done using NFS I just switch to a lower level and the NFS stuff is
removed. But a box without networking is pretty useless and I've never
run the box in that configuration.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de