Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:23:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        T0682740@pmail.tepco.co.jp
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: VM question

> > The Usenix papers are generally available for anonymouse FTP, both by
> > the authors home site, and from the Usenix SAGE group ftp site.  The
> > SAGE FTP site is:  ftp://ftp/sage.usenix.org/
>
> Unfortunately they don't hold the latest papers. Only up to 1994 or
> so.

You'll have to subscribe to the proceedings, or get a copy from
somone who does (or hit up the authors, but it's hard to get that
information without the rest of it...).

> > FreeBSD does not have a mach VM system any more.  The MACH VM system
> > does not operate (implicitly) on a unified buffer cache scheme.  Cache
> > unification is an important win.
>
> Is there any paper about unified buffer cache scheme?

Talk to John Dyson and David Greenman.  They should write and present a
paper, IMO.

> > You could implement an external demand pager on the basis of trapping
> > the SIGSEGV signal, and implementing mapping of resources as a result;
> > you would robably be better off providing a kernel interface, however,
> > since you would have to coalesce domains to keep the number of entries
> > small enough to avoid problems.
>
> Actually, I'd like to implement a sort of DSM that provides
> page-in/out over the network transparently to the user process.

I believe this exists and is in ports already -- or in experimental.  One
of the interesting apps is cluster computing (search for "David Sarnoff"
or slight varioations on the web -- that's the name of the research center).

The Willows software does user mode paging; it's available with agreement
to their license (see www.willows.com).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---